Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I increase resolution/sharpen with photoshop?

Ok. I have a mac and adobe photoshop cs3. I have this picture that I made that I am trying to print as a 5%26quot; x 7%26quot; or a 4%26quot; x 6%26quot; picture. The thing is that when it prints, it comes out kind of pixelated. Here is what I have done and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have gone to the toolbar%26gt;image%26gt;image size and set pixels to 546x390. The resolution (as pixels/inch) was set at 72. So I changed that to 100. No big difference was made. Now, every time I change the resolution, the picture just gets bigger, but not nicer. So, I went back to the original at 546x390 and went to the tool bar%26gt;filter%26gt;sharpen%26gt;sharpen. All this did was enhance the brightness in the picture, but didn't make it less pixelated.



I then went to the local Kinko's and they couldn't help me either. But every time they increased the resolution, the picture got smaller (idk why). So now, I need to know how to get the picture less pixelated to I can print as a 4%26quot;x6%26quot; or a 5%26quot;x7%26quot;. I would prefer the 5%26quot;x7%26quot; size but if that doesn't work, 4%26quot;x6%26quot; is fine



For those of you trying to help me, I am not super advanced with photoshop so please keep that in mind.



Thank you!How do I increase resolution/sharpen with photoshop?
With the size of your image, 546 x 390, it will print nicely to a size of 1.8 x 1.3 inches but it will never print nicely to 4 x 6 much less 5 x 7. The only thing that you can do that would gain you some improvement is to increase the size of the image, width or height dimensions, in 10 percent increments. You do this as follows:



First to watch how the size of the document changes in the below process, open the Image Resize, uncheck the Resample, and change the 72 to 300 in the resolution box. You could probably get by with 250 rather than the 300. Do one of the other. Notice that the size of the Document decreased considerably. If you used 300, it will be the size I mentioned above.



Next steps --- Image %26gt; Image Resize. Where the dimensions are indicated change the %26quot;pixels%26quot; to %26quot;percent%26quot;, it is in the dropdown list. Notice that your dimensions changed to %26quot;100%26quot; this is 100%. Now change the 100 to 110. Make sure the Resample box is checked. Click OK and repeat this process over and over until it no longer will print good or you reach you size desired.



BTW, sharpening will not fix this. However, in the resizing process, you might see improvement by selection %26quot;Bicube smoother%26quot; as you increase the size. That said, it is best to do some sharpening as the last thing before printing. Don't over sharpen to the point of seeing the white halo, an indicator of over sharpening.