Thursday, September 22, 2011

I took a picture with my digital camera......?

I submited it to a publisher. he said the resolution is 72dpi.

the requirerments are 200-300dpi. How do I correct it.

It was taken by my digital camera and its on file on my pc...I'm new about this and don't know how to change it to 200dpi. can it be done?I took a picture with my digital camera......?
If you took the picture at 72dpi then if you convert it to a larger dpi it will be pixilated. Was your camera on its highest resolution setting? The more Megapixels your camera has the more dpi a picture can contain. If you need to adjust the dpi you will need to do it in a photo editing program, I suggest Photoshop. DPI stands for dots per inch. If you have a certain amount of pixels (dots) and you try to make it larger, i.e. going from 72dpi to 200dpi the program will fill in the blanks, that is why it will look so pixilated.



Either you accidentally formed your picture to have 72dpi, you had your camera set to a low setting or your camera sucks and you need to upgrade.I took a picture with my digital camera......?
absolutely! go to www.download.com and download irfanview. i use it for all my digital photography. they have a resize/resample tool. good luck, happy shooting!I took a picture with my digital camera......?
What camera? What resolution? Not enough information to help you.I took a picture with my digital camera......?
Open the file in Photoshop and click image%26gt;image size and set the resolution to 300 dpi and click OK. This change the pic from 72 to 300 dpi. It will also make the file size much much bigger.



IN Irfanview open the file, click image%26gt;resize/resample then enter 300 in the box next to DPI and click OK.



If you don't have Photoshop you can download IrfanView from www.irfanview.com. It's free and quite good, but not as good as Photo filtre which you can find at www.tucows.com and numerous other sites. Photofiltre is a full featured photo editor. To change resolution in PF, click image%26gt;imagesize and enter the desired resolution (300).I took a picture with my digital camera......?
Read this and learn. Then, I can tell you what I think you need to do.



~~~~~~~



Resolution - PPI - DPI



The easiest way to find out is to take a picture.

Open the picture in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

Click on %26quot;Image%26quot; then %26quot;Resize%26quot; then %26quot;Image Size%26quot;

(Or use [CTRL]+[ALT]+[I] %26lt;%26lt;that's a letter %26quot;I%26quot;)

Look at %26quot;Resolution%26quot; on the window that opens and it will show you what the resolution of the image is.



You can not control the pixels per inch in your camera, as this is a function of the sensor. I have found the following ppi for SOME cameras by the following manufacturers. I wonder if this specification is available anywhere. I have four camera manuals in front of me and I can't find it in any of them.



NIKON - 300 ppi

CANON - 180 ppi

PENTAX - 72 ppi



We %26quot;discussed%26quot; this by way of question and answers a while back and decided that the ppi file produced by the camera really did not have any effect on the capability to produce a good print. If I take a photo with my wife's 6 MP Nikon and view the image on the screen, it will start out as 300 ppi. If it's a full frame image of 3008 pixels x 2000 pixels, the SCREEN image would be pretty big if I viewed it full sized, but it would print 10.0%26quot; x 6.6%26quot;. If you crop a 5x7 out of this, keeping it as full-frame as possible, it becomes 400 dpi.



With my brother's 6 MP Pentax, the image is 2816 px x 2112 px, but it's at 72 ppi. If you print this without cropping, it would be 39%26quot; x 29%26quot;!!! If you crop a 5x7 out of this, though, it becomes 402 dpi resolution, which is virtually identical for the Nikon 6 MP camera.



With my son's 6 MP Canon Powershot A620, the image is 3072 px x 2304 px, but it's at 180 ppi. If you could possibly print this without cropping, it would be 17.1%26quot; x 12.8%26quot;. If you crop a 5x7 out of this, though, it becomes 439 dpi resolution, which is a bit better than either of the other 6 MP cameras.



In other words, regardless of the sensor's pixel-per-inch output, 6 MP cameras produced the same resolution when it came time to print comparable images. How about a camera with more pixels?



If I take a photo with my 10 MP Nikon D200 and view the image on the screen, it will start out as 300 ppi. If it's a full frame image of 3872 pixels x 2592 pixels, the SCREEN image would be pretty big if I viewed it full sized, but it would print 12.9%26quot; x 8.6%26quot;, if I had the right paper. If you crop a 5x7 out of this, keeping it as full-frame as possible, it becomes 516 dpi, or higher resolution than the 6 MP cameras. We knew that is would work out like this, though, didn't we?



The REAL question is, what difference does this make in the real world? If we agree that 300 dpi is an excellent resolution for prints, as long as you end up with at least 300 ppi after you are done cropping on the screen, you will get an excellent print as far as resolution goes. All four cameras exceed that amount. I usually resize %26quot;down%26quot; to 300 dpi before printing, because you can't tell the difference above that resolution anyway. Most people would be quite happy with a 200 dpi print, so go ahead and crop a bit. If you get a print resolution too much below 200 dpi, you will start to see digital artifact in the print and it will be objectionable.



~~~~~~~



Now... Since your image is 72 dpi, it would probably print out at some huge size like 30%26quot; x 40%26quot;. Just open the image in Photoshop or similar program and crop the image to something like 10%26quot; x 13%26quot; and check to see what the new resolution is.



In doing a sample image that I have, I went from about 30x40 at 72 ppi to 6x8, which gave me 352 ppi. You can then resize down to the required 300 ppi by just plugging in the numer 300 in the resolution box. Or, you could do a test crop, while maintainingthe proportions of the full image, and see what you come up with . Undo and do another test until your result falls within the 200-300 range.