Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I adjust the picture resolution settings on my Canon Powershot?

I have a Canon PowerShot SD790 IS (the ELPH http://www.canon-digitalcamera.com/d/sal ), and it's unbelievable. The only problem is that they pictures it takes end up HUGE when I upload them to my computer (~2000 across and close to 3000 pixels high). While it's great for fine editing, the file size is just way too big for me to deal with when I want to put them on facebook or something.



A friend of mine told me that I can change the options in the camera menu, but I can't figure out how/where. Could someone help?



Thank you!How do I adjust the picture resolution settings on my Canon Powershot?
It's always best to shoot your images at the very best resolution and quality (Large/Superfine) and then resize copies ONLY, using photo editing software. That way you have the original in case you want to crop them or make copies or enlargements.



If you don't have photo editing software, I recommend you think about buying one (Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro Photo X2 are very affordable).



BUT...In Facebook, you can upload your huge files and Facebook automatically resizes them. I just tested it out by uploading a 4.25MB full size Jpeg image to Facebook and the image was automatically resized to a more web-friendly resolution.

So, in Facebook...give it a try.



But, you CAN of course change your resolution in-camera (look up 'Recording Pixels' in the Index of your User Guide). However, I wouldn't recommend you do it (at least not on a permanent basis).